Friday, November 20, 2009

Glue Ears?

Here's an update on the Bug's ears...

*3 1/2 weeks ago he had tubes placed.

*2 1/2 weeks ago was his post-op check up. Failed his tympanogram. Both tubes were blocked. Right ear infection. Treated with drops for 7 days. Had lots of GROSS ear drainage that first looked like rubber cement and then morphed into a sero-sanguinous drainage.

*Today we had another checkup. Failed his tympanogram. Tubes no longer blocked though. Left ear infection. Drops for another 3 days. Oral antibiotic for 10 days. What's next? Another check up in 2 weeks. If things aren't cleared up, then we'll do an X-ray of his adenoids to see if the tissue is enlarged. If so, we'll go ahead with another surgery to remove those. If possible, they like to wait with adenoids until he's older because he has to be intubated in surgery and the risk of damage is greater since he is small. I went into the appointment feeling discouraged that these tubes weren't working. After some reassurance, I'm now a little more hopeful that things are going to clear up without the surgery. The NP said that he had "Glue Ears," which means that the fluid in his ears was glue-like consistency. Kids who have that bad of fluid on their ears often have a couple of ear infections while the fluid is being cleared out. The reason antibiotics never worked for him before the tubes was that the fluid was so thick that the antibiotics could not penetrate past the surface...hence they were never clear...hence Glue Ears...hence our current situation.

I felt bad for him...so...I bought him a stuffed Elmo...
and he is obsessed with it. He can't stop hugging and kissing him. I wanted to take a picture, but my dang batteries are dead. Stupid Batteries. They are charging. I hope he still loves Elmo after his nap!

3 comments:

  1. "You are the mother of an 18 month old - you should never have dead batteries!" HA! :)

    I'm encouraged too - we'll pray!!! It'll all work out!!! Thanks for the comment, by the way - I guess April 15 is a long ways off, but it might take me that long to get organized! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He'll probably run around the house yelling "Melmo...Melmo." I hope his ears heal up...I'm with Sarah...we'll just pray him out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nothin' better than a little boy and his elmo!

    kayp

    ReplyDelete